So today I'm going to show you two recipes for the summer to help keep your skin healthy and happy! These recipes are completely customizable and I'll show you how!
Let's Talk About Ingredients!
For me, the essential ingredients for SPF are zinc oxide and carrot seed oil. Zinc oxide is a great base for sunscreen and you can vary the amount of coverage by weight.
For instance 1 oz of lotion + 0.1 oz of zinc oxide will equal an SPF of 10. If you use 1 oz lotion + 0.2 oz of zinc oxide you will have an SPF of 20. However, if you go much higher than 25-30 SPF you may notice that you may have streaking of the powder. That's why carrot seed oil is so fantastic-- it'll give you a natural boost in SPF!
Carrot seed oil has one of the highest SPFs of all natural sunscreens, plus it's an antioxidant so it helps to inhibit free radicals and keeps you look amazing! Depending on the carrot seed oil, the natural SPF value is between 30-40.
Natural oils like coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax are all natural sunscreens, but they are quite low-- usually under 10 SPF. But when you use multiple types of natural SPFs they layer on each other and work together to give you natural protection.
Normally, it is recommended to re-apply every 2 hours and this is not waterproof.
I love to use therapeutic essential oils for scents! My favorite is purification which smells like an awesome perfume and helps remove odors too! I even use it on my dog to deter bugs!
Other awesome summer time choices are Peppermint, Lavender (watch out though-- it may attract bees!), Lemongrass, and Cedarwood.
And just because I like you-- I'm giving you TWO options on how to make it! A body butter OR a spray! Options, options, options!!
DIY Whipped Body Butter Bug Spray
- ⅛ cup Shea Butter-- Raw and Unrefined
- ⅛ cup Beeswax Pellets
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 3 TBSP Jojoba Oil (I like organic)
- 3-5 drops of Vitamin E Skin Oil
- 1 TBSP Non-Nano Zinc Oxide (I use this brand)
- 10-20 drops of carrot seed oil depending on preference (I love this brand)
- 20-30 drops of any combination of Purification, Citronella, Lemongrass or Peppermint essential oils
- I usually use 15 drops Purification, 5 drop peppermint, 5 drops lemongrass, 5 drops of Citronella (I use this brand)
- 3 ounces distilled or boiled water
- 1 ounce witch hazel or vodka (can substitute with purified water)
- ½ tsp salt
- 40-50 drops of essential oil (combo of your choice, but I like 30 purification, 10 peppermint, 10 lemongrass) I use this brand
- Optional: 30-40 drops of carrot seed oil for SPF
You can read more about essential oils and which brand I recommend!
Hopefully with these recipes you will have a happy summer!
P.S. Carrot seed essential oil has a very earthy scent. Some people like it, others do not. I prefer it mixed with other essential oils to lessen the smell. I believe in full disclosure-- I don't want any comments about how it smells funny! I TOLD YOU!