Back in my before-I-knew-better-days, I used to have those scented plug-ins all over my house, but I ended up with some nasty headaches so I stopped using them and then I moved to those spray air fresheners before I realized what's actually inside of them!! Go look at your favorite air freshener on EWG and see. It's a little disturbing. Or a lot. Okay, probably a lot. Just go look!!
After that, I replaced them with an aromatherapy diffuser which has been amazing and so many people have complimented me on how great my home smells which makes me soooooooo happy. But if you know me, then you know I WANT MORE!! I wanted something to remove odors!
I already use my DIY carpet freshener which is great at removing odors and deterring bugs, but I wanted to make something to spray on my sofa, chairs, curtains and other items which were laying around the house, but were a lot harder (or impossible) to toss in the washer. Plus, it's difficult to move the diffuser to an office and it's impossible to use in the car. I can easily carry this spray bottle in my purse anywhere I go.
What You Need:
- Glass Spray Bottle (Like this one- 4 oz or this one- 1 oz)
- 50% distilled or purified water
- 50% alcohol (rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka)
- 10 drops of essential oil per oz of water/vodka mix
- Pinch of salt (1 oz) or ¼ tsp salt (4 oz)
Here are some ideas for your scent combinations:
I recommend this brand of Essential Oil
- Grapefruit and Peppermint (3:1)
- Stress Away and Lime (3:1)
- Joy and Jasmine (3:1)
- Lavender, Orange and Bergamot (2:1:1)
- Purification and Lavender (1:1)
- Rose, Lavender and Lime (2:1:1)
- Lavender, Chamomile and Ylang Ylang (2:1:1)
- Idaho Blue Spruce and Orange (2:1)
- Pine and Lemon (1:1)
- Lavender and Peppermint (1:1)
- Orange, Pine, and Clove (2:1:1)
You can watch this video for a trick on how to find out which scent pairs well with one another!
If you want to make your own DIY perfume and making scent blends, check out this post.
If you'd like to make a DIY reed diffuser check out this post from my friend Vanessa!
If you'd like to learn more about essential oils please join my Facebook group by filling out this form! It's a lot of funnnnn!!