Maybe you've tried other "smart" or "self cleaning" litter boxes-- I know I have! What a joke, right?! My favorites were the rake and the sifter which both made me want to vomit when I cleaned the excrement from the teeny gaps and holes! Gross! But there are so many other options like the chemical crap storm washable litter, the cradle of filth box, train your cat to use a toilet nightmare and the topsy-turvy poop mixer. What amazing selections!
For over a decade, I've been searching for the answer to the litter box problem, but time and time again I would just go back to the old fashion scoopable litter box. But when Leo (the lazy) started having urinary problems, my vet told me that making sure he had an "extremely" clean litter box was critical for his health. In fact, the consequences of another urinary problem would be chopping of what remained of his manhood. I don't know about you, but I think he would want to keep that!
So, here I am scooping the litter box 4 times a day so my cat can keep his penis. I'm so generous. And tired. Of Poop.
So a few months ago, I got desperate and purchased The Litter Robot. It's a self cleaning automatic litter box for cats.
Sure, the thing looks like a spaceship, but for all I care it could look like an elaborate cat size Taj Mahal or the replica of a chocolate donut. I would have it proudly displayed in my house. Why? Because it's awesome.
How The Litter Robot Works
- Your cat poops/pees in the Litter Robot
- The Litter Robot waits 7 minutes and begins to turn (adjustable time)
- It will separate the clean litter from the dirty litter as it turns on it's side
- The Litter Robot put the clean litter in a special compartment leaving only the excrements in the enclosure.
- As it turns, the kitty excrements are then dumped into the lower drawer
- As it turns back upright, the litter is replaced in the bin and it is ready to be used again
- You can empty the drawer at anytime by opening it up, picking up the enclosed bag and throwing it away.
- You don't have to scoop poop. Obviously, this is the best reason! The Litter Robot senses the cat inside of the machine and after he (or she) exits it will clean the litter box after a set amount of time. If the cat jumps back inside, it will stop moving or reset it's timer.
- No Stinky Smell. My Litter Robot is about 5 feet from my work desk and I NEVER smell it. Ever. The cat "droppings" are kept in a small drawer and when the light flashes-- you dump it out. Easy!
- Eco-Friendly. Litter Robot states they use recycled materials in the construction and repair of any Litter Robot. They also offer refurbished units to reduce waste. Plus, it uses less litter.
- No Messy Cleanup. Have you ever went to change your cat's litter, grabbed the bag, started walking and then realized that the cat scratched a hole in it? Yeah. Me too. If you put a small bag into the drawer of the Litter Robot, you can easily pick it up and throw it away without ever worrying if your cat had damaged the bag because they never make contact with it!
- Less Litter. It has helped to decrease my litter consumption by about 2-3 bags a month. That's a lot! The litter is a lot cleaner, I can re-use it for longer, and I only need to replace what is removed with the waste. Not only is this better for my wallet, but also for the environment.
- No Special Equipment. You can use almost any kind of litter, you don't need any special bags (I use these baggies) or batteries. Once you get the automatic self cleaning machine, you can do whatever you want with it!
- Picky Cats. All three of my picky adult cats love the Litter Robot. My oldest, Elizabeth Taylor, took the longest to accept it, but now they all seem to really appreciate always having a completely clean litter box whenever they want to go to the bathroom. Plus, they love watching it turn!
- Warranty. It comes with an 18 month warranty for peace of mind.
- Efficient Energy Used. According to AutoPets when the motor is working to rotate the globe during a cleaning cycle, the Litter-Robot uses just 2.7 Watts of electricity. When the Litter-Robot is on standby, which is 99% of the time, it uses just 0.36 Watts of electricity.
- Multiple Cats. I used to have 4 scoopable traditional boxes and now I have one Litter Robot for 3 adult cats. I was worried, but we have no issues with sharing. I empty the drawer, on average, every 3 days.
- Not all litter can be used. Only fine clumping litter is recommended so say goodbye to your pine pellets and shredded paper litter. But you can still use many eco-friendly options like clumping wheat, walnut and any plant based starched clumping litter that will fit through the screen filter of the Litter Robot (no pellets!)
- It's big. For a litter box, it's pretty massive so make sure you have some space to put it!
- Litter Kickback. There is some litter that can be kicked out of the litter box despite the litter guard, but if you have a litter mat (like this one) then it will catch most of it.
- Piling of poop. The cat poop tends to pile up in one spot in the drawer so it will say it's full when there is still plenty of room, but if you just shake the drawer and spread it out, then you can get another day or two out of it before you need to change the bag.
- It Does Require Periodic Cleaning. The poop can smear on the inside of the enclosure, but it tends to be minimal and it can easily be cleaned with a little Thieves Cleaner and a rag. I clean mine about once a month, it takes less than 2 minutes, and it's a breeze.
- Small Cats. If you have kittens, they can't use the Litter Robot until they are 5 pounds or more because the sensor can't detect them, but you can use it in semi-automatic mode until your kitten gains enough weight.
- Cost. They are pricey initially, but they are the best investment I have made for my fur-babies! Not only are the cats happy with their litter box and I am happy not to scoop poop or have a stinky box in my house anymore, but my vet says that it is doing a great job at helping to keep Leo healthy and urinary obstruction free!
I'd love to hear what you think about the Litter Robot, what your favorite natural cat brand is, or anything else kitty related! Please tell us in the comments below.
When you purchase with this link, not only do you get a discount, but Litter Robot will also give me a small fee to help me keep my blog up and running. I call that a win-win, don't you? Thank you for your support and your kitty love! MWAH!