Have you noticed that when you switched to a natural beauty products that sometimes our skin doesn't behave the best? We call this a "skin purge" as the chemicals and other junk that's inside our pores takes it's cue to exit the body. It may appear to be acne, but it's detoxing! Often people give up switching to natural products because they see these things as a failure. It's the furthest from the truth!
When we detox our pits, we are bringing it back into natural balance. And, in fact, often readers have told me that don't even need deodorant anymore except in extreme heat. I love my DIY deodorant recipe, but if I'm being honest-- I rarely use it anymore because I just don't need it.
Why Armpits Stink
There are lots of reasons that you may hear like overactive sweat glands, bacteria, sweat, heavy metals... you name it. But the truth is that years of using over the counter chemical filled deodorants tend to clog our pores and cause a build up of gunk which actually is one of the top "causes" of stinky pits.
It's a SCANDAL, I tell you!
Did you know that aluminum antiperspirants actually travel into and block your sweat glands so that you sweat into your body instead of out of it? Crazy, huh. And considering that we sweat to release toxins-- it's easier to see why they are linked to so many diseases.
When we help our body to work like it should--- we don't need all the products they tell us we need and we don't spend all the money they want us to spend! Our bodies are a lot smarter than what businesses what us to believe!
Why Detox Anyways?
Um. Toxic chemicals. Duh. Get them out of your body!
- Aluminum– some evidence links aluminum to breast cancer and Dementia
- Phthalates– Endocrine disruptors that can cause hormone imbalance and even infertility
- Formaldehyde- a known carcinogen and a controversial ingredient which is banned in many other countries.
- Parabens- Hormone disruptor that may be linked to breast cancer
Detoxing your pits is the pits. Just get that in your head right now.
Your pits will not automatically smell like roses in 24 hours. Nope, sorry to break it to you but as you unload all the stuff trapped behind those clogged pores, you will encounter some stinky business.
As you release the toxins, things usually get worse before they get better, but that's actually a great thing! Do you want all of that trapped inside of your body? Noooooooooooo. It's an amazingly rewarding thing to know you are doing your body good (even if it stinks).
But don't worry-- it doesn't happen to everyone! If you don't get stinky (or sweaty) then pat yourself on the back because you obviously have been taking very good care of yourself! But even if you don't stink-- continue with the detox for at least 2 weeks because you never know what's coming out of your pits!
Stinky Armpits Detox Solution
Of course, this can be a natural process. You can just use a natural deodorant or God forbid--- no deodorant and your pits will detox over time. Or you can use a detoxing DIY to help accelerate the process.
This simple DIY is so easy to make that it takes less than a couple of minutes. Simply put this on for about 10-20 minutes each day and then wash it off. Do this for about 2-3 weeks or until the smell subsides. If you ever get stinky again-- repeat! But I recommend doing it about every 6-12 months anyways.
- 1 TBSP Bentonite Clay (this is my favorite brand)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tsp non-alcoholic witch hazel (like this one) or water (enough to make a thick paste)
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil or Manuka Essential Oil
- 1-2 drop Ledum or Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Optional: 1/2 tsp activated charcoal for a super detox
P.S. I mix this up in a little dish and use it for a few days. If it gets too dry-- I just add more witch hazel or water.
Other Ways to Support Detoxing
- Natural Detox: Take Chlorella or Spirulina. If you find they are too strong for you, I also really enjoy this gentle, daily supplement.
- Eat a balance diet: Often when we eat a diet heavy on fried foods, fast food, pesticide ridden food-- we can throw off our bacterial balance that keeps us healthy and non-stinky
- Probiotics: Take probiotics daily to help keep your bacteria balance in check. I like these brands
- Regular Bath Salt Soaks with detoxing essential oils like Rosemary, Thieves, or Juniper.