He LOVES Ham and Cheese Sliders. I don't love all the calories and dairy so I make it two ways because we both have different dietary needs
- Regular: full butter, real cheese, and Hawaiian Rolls
- Lower Carb/Non Dairy: Earth Balance Butter, lacto-free cheese, potato rolls (some are gluten free-- read the label!) or another type of gluten free rolls
What You Need:
- 1/2 pound of sliced Sweet Ham
- 4-6 slices of Swiss Cheese or Lactose Free Cheese
- 1 package of Hawaiian Sweet Rolls OR Potato Rolls OR gluten free rolls
- Mayo to spread on the bread
- 6 TBSP of butter, melted or Earth Balance Butter, melted (non-dairy)
- 1 1/2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
- 1 TBSP Poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 small onion
|Pick: Dairy Free or Dairy?! It's your choice!|
Put together the sandwich: bun, ham, cheese, mayo, bun.
Close that sucker up and put it in a baking dish (8x8 works great) completely assembled.
Use a fork and poke some holes in each roll so when you pour on the sauce on top it can saturate those upper buns with buttery goodness. Yum! If you don't, then all the sauce will soak into the bottom making it soggy and none on the top which makes me sad :(
In a bowl, add the melted butter, onions, poppy seeds, worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard. Stir to combine and pour it over the sandwiches. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to really make sure the bread really feels the butter love.
I cover them with foil and then place them into the oven for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, I remove the foil and let them cook for 2-3 minutes just to get the tops a little golden and remove them from the oven.
Honestly, the altered version is an excellent choice of you have a dairy problems or if you're gluten free. I found that they satisfy my cravings and don't give me the side effects of when I eat milk products.
I'd recommend it!